Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Installation of the Annapolis Rigging spreader thru bar


Here are a few shots of the ongoing spreader thru bar with the mast up. The starboard plate is almost completely installed. There is a tube welded internally in the mast that connects the port & starboard sides of the mast. According to Jay Herman the bar can be left in as long as the halyards are behind it. ( one of the jib halyards is not behind the tube ). The Harbor freight 1/4" pop rivet tool is not completely fool proof and I messed up two pop rivets that will have to be redone. In removing the old pop rivets I used up about one drill bit per rivet. So far there is no cracking observed in either the mast or the old spreader bracket. The DeWalt roto drill was able to make the cut out with harming the halyards.


A shot of 16' folding ladder I'm using to get up to the spreaders. The ladder is tied to the lower stay and I tie myself to the mast while up there.

No comments: